Three Sister's Fall Soup
• 1 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 medium green pepper, chopped roughly
• 2-3 cups pumpkin or winter squash cubes (1 butternut squash or 2 smaller squash)
• 1 quart fresh tomato chopped
• 1-2 finely chopped jalepeno peppers
• 2 cups cooked black beans (if using canned, rinse and drain)
• 2 cups organic corn kernels (2-3 ears of fresh corn)
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons Virtuous Living’s Hope Spice blend
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 2 teaspoons Himalayan pink salt
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
• ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a large pot, heat oil. Add onion, and let sweat. Add a pinch of salt and gently stir until translucent. Add Hope Spice Blend, then add garlic, green pepper and squash and sauté a few minutes over medium heat. Stir in tomatoes, chiles, beans, corn, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and cook.
Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasoning as desired (you can also add extra broth if it is very thick). Add a spoonful of cilantro to individual bowls to garnish.
Serve with fresh cornbread, or a side salad.